Some Garak-Centric Fan Fic
- Tarkalean Tea (Garak/Bashir)
- The Plain and Simple Zine – multi-issue, no frills Garak/Bashir anthology zine with all stories written by DVS.
- No Holds Barred – specific issues of this normally multi-media zine had several all-Garak/Bashir issues
- Different Odds, a Bashir/Garak zine
Doctor Julian Bashir is one of the main characters in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, played by Alexander Siddig. He is Deep Space Nine’s Chief Medical Officer.
Bashir starts out as a TNG-like character: young, brilliant, oversexed & over-enthusiastic, far more naive and idealistic than most of the rest of DS9′s staff. He even has a teddy bear, called Kukalaka. Later, he is revealed to have been genetically engineered as a child, with the retcon that his naivete in earlier outings was just a facade.
Aside from Kukalaka, his closest associates on the station are the polar opposites, Miles O’Brien & Elim Garak — the one “plain and simple”, the other (despite his protestations) anything but. Julian has a classic buddies relationship with the married Miles, featuring beer, darts and frequent trips down the holosuites to refight the Battle of the Alamo. On the other hand, you don’t need slash goggles to see that Garak flirts with him constantly. He also has an enduring friendship with Jadzia Dax, which features unrequited love or lust on his side. In the final season he gets to hook up with Ezri Dax, in a move which left many fans going ewww.
Blossom Morphine writes: The writers created him to be an imperfect character, someone who would grow throughout his time on the station instead of starting out being the perfect officer. Bashir was brilliant, beautiful, kind, and wanted adventure. He fancied himself someone capable of handling any situation, and was very talented in many areas, both physically and mentally, but socially inept. He was by no means a pure character, but he was still rather naive, especially for being part of a military organization, not to mention a little arrogant.
Bashir is one of the most popular characters with fanwriters. Nostalgia writes that he’s easily … the most-written character by far. According to her, he’s also commonly held to be Trek’s only bisexual character, and he certainly lives up to that reputation in fanfiction. In slash, he’s most frequently paired with Garak; Garak/Bashir is by far the most common slash pairing in the DS9 fandom and is still being written.
There’s also a large following for the buddies coupling of Bashir/O’Brien (aka BOBslash), which also includes threesomes and love triangles featuring Miles’ wife, Keiko and/or Garak. BOBslash generally tends to lie on the vignette end of the spectrum, while G/B inspires anything from drabbles to novels.
Bashir/Ezri did not find favour among fanwriters, and tends to appear only to be repudiated in favour of the author’s favourite brand of slash. Ezri gets to die heroically a fair bit as well.
- Big Kid, by Paranoid Kitten — adds Garak to the Keiko/Miles/Julian mix
- Converse Symmetry, by Terri Drummonds — award-winning Garak/Bashir novel
- Drinking With A Child, by nostalgia & kbk — Bashir/O’Brien short
- Exile, by The Hoyden — Garak/Bashir in an intriguing alternate universe
- Nom de Plume, Roman a Clef & Folie a Deux, by Arcady — Garak/Bashir series by one of the pairing’s best-known exponents
- A Treatise on the Principles of Relativity, by Mosca — example of pushing aside Ezri to write slash, here Garak/Bashir though the author is best known for her Bashir/O’Brien
- Wanting Home, by Brighid — Bashir/O’Brien futurefic
Bashir-focused anthology zines include:
Newsletters focusing on Alexander Siddig, the actor who portrayed Bashir:
- Cardassia Sutra — Garak/Bashir archive
- Garak/Bashir Fuh-q Fest — archive of past Garak/Bashir challenge rounds
- Works tagged ‘Julian Bashir’ at Archive of Our Own
- Works tagged ‘Bashir, J.’ at fanfiction.net