But it’s every day, a Benjamin Sisko celebration here in this Blog, for being our Captain, us Niners, the Emissary and the coolest guy in Trek Universe. For just being Benjamin Sisko…
Why Sisko is the Best Captain
In light of all the “Why ______ is the best Captain” threads, and noticing there wasn’t one for Sisko, I thought I’d start one… so here goes, I mean How hard can it be?
- He squares up to Picard on his first day of Command, when Picard outranks him.
– He doesn’t just command, he also designs starships that make most other races tremble.
- One of his crew is captured by the Cardassians, he walks into the courtroom and stares the judge down, and his crewman gets released, and centuries of Cardassian legal tradition changes.
– Picard tried to talk Q out of his antics, Janeway had to brush off his advances, Sisko just punches him to shut him up.
- Saved Kirk from a tribble bomb, then went and asked for his autograph.
– Kirk and Picard may be considered Gods, but Sisko actually BECAME one… or you could say he was always one.
– Picard’s mother was French, Sisko’s mother was really a Prophet.
- When Sisko goes back to Earth after traumatic events, he does something useful with his time and doesn’t end up fighting anyone in the mud.
- He has an old friend who is over 300 years old, and still looks fantastic AND is highly respected by the Klingons.
– When fighting with Klingons, he prefers hand to hand combat and headbutting.
– Never got captured and tortured by Cardassians.
– When he ends up on the other side of the galaxy in his first episode, he gets back, and has a Cardassian Ship in tow.
- He likes his station and ships well armed… and even when they’re not, his First officer has the balls to bluff it when she’s outnumbered.
– Has a kid on his station that doesn’t get annoying.
- His security officer is captured by Jem Hadar and imprisoned, yet still fights them, sometimes with a handicap.
- Lets his Klingon crewman BE a Klingon, with all it entails.
- He even lets a crew member who ISN’T Klingon be a Klingon, when she wants to be.
– Doesn’t need a counselor until the final season.
- Kirk has to slingshot around the sun to time-travel. Janeway and Picard are sucked into temporal rifts. Sisko has an orb that is safe, clean and quick.
– Can still look fearsome while pulling off the bald look.
– and then they made him look Klingon once, and he looked even more badass.
- When he was only a commander he had the most powerful ship in the fleet.
- Knows the ins and outs of baseball, and doesn’t need to get drunk to watch it.
– He was prophesied.
- If you are lying he will tell you so.
- Sisko was scared once. He didn’t like it and has never been since.
- When someone betrays him he promises to hunt them to the ends of quadrant,
- and comes through on that promise.
– When Admirals go crazy he holds them at phaser point. Picard just talks to them in a stern voice.
- Starfleet listens to him instead of the other way around.
- He never had to steal or illegally develop his cloaking device.
- His XO looks good in leather.
- His ship battles the Borg, was designed to do so and didn’t need to be enhanced with Borg Technology to do so.
- He is a major figure of Earth History.. twice
- Has crossed over into parallel universe. Not scared. Did it again.
– Kirk had a transporter accident and just got an evil clone. Sisko had one and became an evil genius who took over 1960s Earth and turned it into a big ocean, after kidnapping all the finest minds.
- Explained linear time to being who had NO concept of cause and effect, using baseball.
- He can hold his liquor.
– Tells a large group of Klingons NOT to get between him and the Bloodwine.
- Goes through a Klingon stag party without wanting to kill the groom.
- When klingons attack him he not only kicks their ass but gets them to surrender.
– Drinks Klingon Coffee (raktajino) instead Earl Grey or wimpy human coffee.
- Dated a criminal, and she came back even when he was the one who put her in prison.
- Doesn’t need no stinkin Death Glare… but has one anyways.
well that’ll do for starters… all that springs to mind right now
Posted 27 July 2009 – 06:54 PM
He fought prejudice in 1950s America… sort of.
- He has a Cardassian spy on his station.
- His Doctor can play baccarat and his science officer beats the Ferengi at Tongo.
- He can out-negotiate a Ferengi, and does on many occasions, even the Nagus himself.
– Q didn’t bother Sisko again after their one encounter, but kept on going back to Picard and Janeway over and over.
- Apparently changed Worf’s understanding of the command “A SPREAD of torpedoes” to mean more than one badly aimed shot.
- Chased the Maquis into the Badlands and didn’t get abducted.
- His Chief Engineer didn’t need a commission or a course at Starfleet Academy, but ended up TEACHING it.
- His bartender doesn’t need big hats.
– Worf never threatened to kill Sisko where he stood.
– but then Sisko was never stupid enough to say Worf was a Coward.. although if he had said it, he could have defended himself.
- Lost his first true love to the Borg, then designed something to beat them if they ever returned.
- Still managed to win over his first wife after kicking sand at her, AND kept the drinks he was carrying on the tray.
– Fought the Jem’Hadar in hand to hand and not only won but gained their respect, ditto for the Klingons.
- At least two of his command crew wield a mean bat’leth.
- Managed to travel at Warp, without Warp Drive or Inertial Dampers or interference from a powerful entity.
- Kid isn’t a snot-nosed little smug git, but chose to be a writer and NOT join Starfleet.
- Is well versed in his own cultural roots, but also keen to explore those of Bajor.
- Aims to kill, but usually makes it so he doesn’t even have to shoot.
- First to ever escape the Jem Hadar.
– Doesn’t chase everything and anything that moves, trying to mate with it…
- He already has his Doctor doing that.
- His Doctor was the base for the EMH Mk2.
- Got a new ship of the same class very quickly after the original Defiant was destroyed…
- AND he was given special dispensation to rename it in honour of the old ship.
– Bad hair days never a problem for him.
- His Station security chief can be whatever he wants to be.
- He and Dax once trashed a Casino because they didn’t like the games.
– He doesn’t have a chin under his Goatee, just another fist.
- Survived Wolf 359 without being on the Enterprise.
- had numerous Runabouts destroyed and they were replaced quickly just like his starship.
- Dates regularly, as do most of his command staff.
- His crew went on a looting run on an abandoned station of the same class for spare parts.
- Makes his Engineering Chief delay major/vital repairs so he can get a decent cup of coffee.
– Willing to destroy the Wormhole just to get one over on the Dominion.
- Not afraid to get his hands dirty when there’s clearing up work after the Cardassians decided have a little fun they day they left.
- When theres a possibility of Changelings being on Earth, Sisko gets called back as an advisor.
- had to order his Engineering Chief to take leave, but didn’t have to be ordered himself.
- Allows crew to use runabouts for personal reasons, usually no questions asked.
- Never got stuck in a turbolift while giving a tour of the ship to a bunch of kids.
- Never got in a transported accident that turned him into a kid.
– Would have thrown Wesley Crusher out the nearest airlock.
- His son turned an illiterate Ferengi into a model Starfleet cadet.
- Could cook like Gordon Ramsey, only… yunno, good.
– His Doctor was genetically enhanced.
- Never fooled or outsmarted by a holographic character.
– Used underhanded methods but they managed to bring the Romulans into the Dominion War.
- No one ever stole his first officer’s brain.
- Survived a battle where a galaxy-class starship was blown to pieces in nothing but a partially disabled runabout.
- Can lay out a guilt trip like no other.
- Has various members of his crew that have grudges against Cardassians.
- Not afraid to make threats, and follow up on them if need be.
– Doctor was recruited to Section 31.
- His station security chief has credentials in the Cardassian courts.
– Got an emotional response from a Vulcan that wasn’t ill in any way.
– Indirectly responsible for the death of a Romulan Senator, but the Romulans held the Dominion responsible.
- When Ben Sisko watches the tape from The Ring, the little girl in the well dies 7 days later.
- Had no problem with Romulans and Changelings being aboard his starship.
– Tackled a Jem’Hadar to the ground on his first encounter with them.
- Is a ‘paragon of virtue’.
- describes the station as ‘not an ideal place to raise a son’ but still does it anyways.
- Even when seriously injured he managed to knock out Gul Dukat.
- In a correction to an item above, he doesn’t make threats, only promises.
– His mirror counterpart had both Intendant Kira and Dax as his lovers.
- He fooled nearly everyone in the mirror universe into thinking he was his counterpart.
- Before he met him, a Romulan thought he’d be taller.
- Started dating Jennifer, even though he knew he’d be assigned to a starship soon after they met.
- Knows how to dance in Lederhosen.
- Once considered trying to rescue someone from Tal Shiar headquarters… it took Curzon to stop him from going through with it.
– A major figure in Bajoran Religion AND discovered their fabled Celestial Temple.
- Acted as defense in the extradition trial of Dax to the Klaestron government, and proved her innocent.
– Really really doesn’t like to lose, but still doesn’t need to cheat.
- Almost single-handedly transformed Bajor from a planet recovering from occupation into one worthy of Federation Membership, despite losing one of their Kais soon after arriving.
- Took an untested warship into Dominion Space just to try and ‘talk’ to the Founders.
– His psychological evaluation became required knowledge for Vorta.
- Caused the Klingons to withdraw from the Khitomer Accords… then gets them to surrender.
- His mirror counterpart was a pirate that was cooler than Jack Sparrow.
– Captured a Jem Hadar ship and returned it for Starfleet to study.
- Knows how to celebrate, even when he loses… and he rarely loses.
– Would have thrown Seven of Nine out of the nearest airlock for insubordination, constant defiance of orders, taking matters into her own hands, and all the other crap that Janeway and the crew of Voyager inexplicably put up with.
- His cowardly FERENGI bartender was the head of a Klingon house.
- Originally planned to be promoted to Admiral (temporarily) in season 6.
- had time for his son in spite of his career and the war effort.
- Recognises that true exploration doesn’t just extend outward.
- Has a Christopher Pike Medal Of Valor to his name.
– The story of Moses was inspiration for his life and character arc.
- Even his son dared to confront the Dominion, in his own way through his writing.
- Discovered the previously unknown 10th Bajoran Orb, the Orb Of The Emissary and used it to restore the wormhole and it’s inhabitants, evicting the evil pah-wraiths, and all by having a few visions.
- Jake was willing to sacrifice his life in the future to return Benjamin to the time he should be in.
- Takes betrayal hard, but acts upon it instead of just stewing about it.
– Champions eat the breakfast of Ben Sisko.
- Everybody was Kung Fu fighting but Sisko still took them all on.
– Is referred to by the Prophets as THE Sisko.
– He forages for wolves at night.
- Some say he only knows two facts about ducks, and both of them are wrong.
- His changeling was the first EVER to harm another of his kind, got turned solid, used an infant changeling that was sold to him to become a changeling again, then found he was the cause of the Changeling virus, as well as being the solution.
- He has never watched Moonraker on Boxing Day.
- Many have looked forward to killing him in battle, none ever got the pleasure, not even the Dukat-Wraith.
– His middle name is Lafayette, making even his middle name officially cool.
– If he wanted to, he could fire Donald Trump.
- Once took the Defiant on a mission to save someone he was talking to over subspace, from 3 years before.
- His changeling was given false info that Gowron was a changeling, but Sisko managed kill the actual Changeling, Martok.
- He took Winston Zeddemore’s advice; when someone asks him if he is a God, he says YES!
- His Strategic Operations Officer appreciates Klingon Opera.
- He would not like to be a pepper too, quit asking.
– Didn’t need to put any of his female crew members in silver catsuits for them to look fantastic while on duty.
- Would have returned from The Nexus before Soran even blew up his first sun, and wouldn’t have needed Kirk’s help to deal with him.
- He ain’t afraid of no ghosts.
- His resident barfly was a big talker, but never on screen, and could hold latinum in his second stomach.
- He can sing a duet – on his own.
- No-one ever said ‘Yuk’ when he tried to kiss them with a newly grown beard.
- His Doctor managed to sneak into what should have been secure areas of the USS Enterprise completely undetected until he was halfway through what he was doing, and even then he managed to talk himself out of a trip to the Brig.
- He can wear a kilt and manage to outdo Elmo McElroy on the “Badass Mo’Fo’ in a kilt” scale.
- His engineer briefly turned the whole damn space station into a starship just so the Federation could stake a claim on the Bajoran Wormhole.
- His sailing ship wasn’t a holodeck recreation, and he really could get away from it all in it.
- He taught Micheal Jackson how to Moonwalk, but still can’t do the funky chicken, the Electric Slide or the Macarena.
- Probably would have had Neelix in the Brig more than Quark, just for being annoying.
- Has combined features from the Captain and First Officer of the Enterprise, a bald head and a beard, and made it work.
– He got a one way ticket to hell AND BACK, and managed to get a refund because the buffet car wasn’t open that day.
- If he had stranded Khan Noonien Singh on a planet, he would make absolutely damn sure that there would be no way they could ever return.
– If Michael Schumacher gets injured or isn’t on form while substituting for Felipe Massa at Ferrari, they’re bringing Sisko in to do the job properly. They chose Schumacher first because he was cheaper.
- Never even tried to make friends with any damn Borg because he knew even he would also fail where others have.
- He never found his Second Officer’s head underground in San Francisco.
- The item in the briefcase at the end of Pulp Fiction was a signed copy of Benny Russell’s ‘Far Beyond the Stars’
– Forget Starfleet Command, he dictates terms to the Dominion.
- There’s a very good reason the last two letters of his name are KO.
- He willingly put himself into a metal box that was out in the sun, and risked death from dehydration and malnurishment – just to prove a point.
– Sisko once got into a bar fight, the bar lost.
- He wore a red shirted uniform and consistently survived.
– Ever noticed how there are no revolving doors in the 24th Century? It’s because Ben Sisko slammed them all.
- The Promenade on DS9 was filled with mourners when he was believed dead. Spock didn’t get that when he actually died.
- Looks damn good in a tux.
– Niagara Falls because Ben Sisko pushed it.
- His crew set a trend in darker Starfleet uniforms… twice.
– He was once run over by a cab, fine right after.
- Often appears surrounded by white or faded yellow light, which only adds to his aura of awesomeness.
- He doesn’t need a sound of how awesome he is, but he has one anyway, and it can only be heard by Targs, or by detuning an old television set.
- Sisko is not capable of hitting a target on the broad side of a barn. Every time he tries, the whole damn barn falls down.
- In the words of the Prophets themselves; He exists, here.
- Was friends with 3 consecutive hosts of the same Trill symbiont.
- He left his baseball on his desk when Starfleet abandoned the station to the Dominion, as a message that he would be back.
– It was him who let the Dogs out, and the Prophets.
- Even those who betray him usually have some honourable traits.
– Ben Sisko can smell what the Rock is cooking… because the Rock once worked for his dad in San Francisco.
- His Trill had two different hosts who were guilty of reassociation.
– Ben Sisko never has heart attacks. His heart is too afraid to attack him.
- The Ferengi he deals with regularly didn’t want to steal his old ship, or try to extort him by presenting him with a fake son.
- His Doctor is also a spy… on 1960s Earth.
– You are probably alive mainly because The Sisko allows it.
- Quite happy to take his son camping on an unexplored planet on the other side of the galaxy.
- Ben Sisko has a deep and abiding respect for all life… unless it gets in his way.
- Didn’t need to make a guest appearance on another incarnation of Trek that was set at the same time period.
– He was turned down for I’m a Celebrity because people had heard of him.
- His resident Ferengi bar owner managed to convince the Prophets to undo what they had done to the Grand Nagus.
- Ben Sisko CAN believe it’s not butter, but may not be able to prove it.
- When the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar put together a fleet with Cloaking Device to take on the Dominion, Sisko’s Security Chief and the station’s tailor were the only ones to survive, and they were in a ship without a cloak.
- Apparently able to pilot a Jem Hadar ship with seemingly little training.
– When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Ben Sisko.
- His Doctor managed to cure a plague, even though the EM Fields created by his tricorder and other equipment accelerated the symptoms.
- No-one has ever really compared Ben Sisko directly to James T Kirk at any length – they don’t want to make Kirk look THAT bad.
- His family tree is surprisingly complex.
- The Ferengi of Deep Space Nine were a part of early 20th Century Earth history.
- His Doctor and Engineer apparently have Annihilation fantasies involving historical events.
- If he’d been the one living next door to Alice, he’d find out why she’s leaving and where she’s gonna go.
- Once warned that Bajor would be destroyed if it actually joined the Federation.
- He has created a recipe for his own culinary delight, which contains chicken.
– He had the foresight (although possibly inspired by the Cardassian Counter-insurgency program) to set up a computer program that would sabotage the station’s computers and other major systems, in case he ever had to give the evacuation order.
- Has never had to make use of a montage while he learns how to do something, it doesn’t take him long enough to warrant one.
- Two of his crew survived a Dominion Internment Camp.
– Was briefly in charge of Security for the entire planet Earth.
- His engineer managed to serve 21 years of prison time in a few hours without Q involved.
- Managed to get his Bajoran First Officer to watch baseball after she realised she’d only ever talked to him about work or her religion.
- His Ferengi knows what Hot Dogs are.
- makes bets with Klingons where the stakes include barrels of bloodwine.
- The station’s resident Ferengi managed to outwit a Vorta who had Jem Hadar backup.
– He invented the internet so that people could share their porn, music and facts about Chuck Norris.
- Once confronted an armed man because he didn’t like his hat.
- Once felt bad about the death of a Romulan Senator that he wasn’t even directly involved in. Spent an hour relating the story in his log, deleted it and was fine after. Didn’t need to go see family on Earth or anything for that.
– Sisko fights the battles most Starfleet captains would retreat from.
- Turned the new Dax host from a complete nervous wreck into an officer who would go on to Captain a ship, (though that was something the previous host SHOULD have done).
- His engineer doesn’t need to inflate his work time estimates to make himself appear to be a miracle worker
Sisko by Meteorprime